Tuesday, July 1, 2014

weekend recap: 6/29 - 6/30 [Say Anything, The Front Bottoms / Monumentour]

hey friends! long time no see, I know. I've been very busy juggling work and, well, life. I'm pretty active on instagram, so if you're wondering what I've been up to, just check me out over there (still armustdie).

Say Anything, House of Blues Boston 6/29
This weekend I hit two shows in a row with some friends. Both shows were incredible but very, very different from each other. Sunday I trekked up to Boston with Sam and Devon for Say Anything and The Front Bottoms (with You Blew It! and The So So Glos opening).

Now, if anyone should know anything about me it's that The Front Bottoms are my favorite band in the world. In the last year I've seen them four times, each mind-blowing in its own way. I've never experienced anything quite like a Front Bottoms show. They're fun, fast-paced, and cathartic as hell. They are also very, very intense live. I have always left a Front Bottoms pit covered in bruises and with ringing ears – but it's worth it. (and, full disclaimer: I do set myself up for that. I'm on barricade always and two out of four times I've seen them, I've practically been sitting on the monitors.)

The first band out was You Blew It! This was my second time seeing them (the first was February, opening for TFB). You Blew It! gives and really punchy live performance. "Regional Dialect" is one of my favorites and reminds me of going to local shows in high school. The most interesting thing about seeing You Blew It!, however, is what I have come to call the "You Blew It! Birthday Paradox". In February, it was amazingly every single member of The Front Bottom's birthday and Sunday night, while it was also a member of the band's birthday and everyone at the merch booth. Although I guess some folks might find it annoying, I believe the You Blew It! Birthday Paradox is the best thing in the world.

While You Blew It! is 90s emo with strong roots in Kinsella bands the second opener of the night, The So So Glos played homage to garage rock and Green Day-inspired punk. This is a band whose music I genuinely liked but found their stage performance to border on annoying and definitely messy. The message of their performance – go punk, fuck hate was great, however they fell into the trap that most new bands playing Boston make: the Red Sox. It seems to be an unwritten law of music physics that if a band is nervous to play Boston they done Red Sox merch and make lots of bad baseball jokes. Listen, I'm not a Boston native but I have lived in New England for over ten years and that shit isn't funny nor does it endear me to you. It is annoying. Upon listening to the So So Glos' record, I feel pretty so-so about it. I'd probably listen to it, but they're not really sticking out to me.

The Front Bottoms' set was definitely the high point of the night for me. They steal the show when they're not headlining. Given their new release, Rose – which is a six-song EP of old songs re-recorded and named for drummer Mat's grandmother – they played a "Jim Bogart", an old fan-favorite. They played a good mix of songs from last year's Talon of the Hawk and their self-titled album. There was also a nameless new song that I really can't wait to hear when it's recorded and named. This Front Bottoms set was really interesting because House of Blues security is very tight. I was worried that it would lose some of the magic. Instead, I think it made it even better. They allowed crowd surfing, gave us water, and were very polite. It was the first show of TFB's that I haven't left the pit feeling like I had been trampled by 10,000 elephants. (I imagine it's also safer for the band – when I've seen them at venues that have allowed stage diving I've seen their instruments get pretty banged up.)

I don't want my love for The Front Bottoms to make anyone think I was not/am not super happy with Say Anything's set. Is A Real Boy… is one of those very, very formative albums for me. "Belt" will always make me cry and "I Want to Know Your Plans" is one of the greatest love songs of our generation. Since Say Anything has a fairly large and expansive discography, I had looked up previous shows' setlists – so I'll say this upfront: I'm a little sad they didn't do their "Got Your Money" cover. But still, I was blown away with the stage presence of Max Bemis. Not to mention it was awesome to see Sherri DuPree Bemis and their daughter appear for "Cemetery". (Also an acoustic version of "Every Man Has a Molly".)

We hung around a bit to chat with Mat and Ciaran of The Front Bottoms, who were both very kind, as well as the boys from You Blew It! and Kenny of Say Anything. All in all, it was a really great show and was definitely worth the exhaustion the next day.

After waking up all too early to head up to New Hampshire to get to the venue nice and early for Monumentour (we had pit tickets and weren't about to get stuck in the middle or the back), we arrived at the Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion around 1 P.M. We were then turned away and told that the parking lot opened at 5, which didn't make sense because Paramore does a tailgate at 3 P.M. So we were told to come back at 3:30.

While the location of the venue is in the very beautiful lakes region of New Hampshire, there is nothing to do. We ended up dropping merch money on getting a sit-down lunch. (Which in retrospect is probably the only reason we didn't pass out during the show.)

Upon returning to the venue, it became clear that there was no organization. We had been told we could not wait at the gate before it opened, but at 3 there were several cars waiting. It was stressful and annoying. After finally getting into waiting area before actually being able to get into the venue, we then waited for three hours in the 95 degree heat. Again, the theme of chaos continued as we tried to get into the venue when there were no lines, only masses of people.

Half an hour before New Politics went on, a girl already collapsed in the pit from the heat. Security then stood in front of the barricades selling water for four dollars. I think that's super fucked up, especially seeing as the night before I had been given free water by security at the House of Blues the night before (and it was significantly cooler then).

I know a grand total of two New Politics songs: "Harlem" and "Yeah Yeah Yeah". They're fun, catchy and up-beat. The band live was all that and more. They are so energetic on stage. I was blown away. Although, the amount of breakdancing made me feel like I was watching a So You Think You Can Dance live show for a bit.

Fall Out Boy, Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion (taken by Sam)
This was my first time seeing Paramore and I had been promised great things by my friends who have seen them previously. All of my expectations were pretty much shot out of the water. There was confetti, y'all. Hayley Williams is possibly the most earnest and enthusiastic performers I have ever seen in my entire life. Throughout the set she insisted that the band and the audience were now all family and that everyone was loved, which is pretty cool. I was really impressed with the set's song selection. They played the hits and some of my personal favorites ("Pressure") but I think the most stunning moment of the night was the band's transition from "Let the Flames Begin" into "Part II". It was haunting. For such a fun, happy band, they definitely played a darker set and it worked really well for them.

During Fall Out Boy (which was probably the band I was most excited to see, gun-to-my-head-have-to-pick) I did something I've never, ever done before: I left the pit. Due to the rising heat and refusal to sell anymore over-priced water by the employees, I felt physically ill. DESPITE THIS, Fall Out Boy's set was still fucking amazing. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little angry they didn't open with "Thriller" but the show was still killer. This was the funnest show I've ever seen them give – Andy and Patrick had a drum battle, there were giant balloons, They covered Queen (which I have been saying they needed to do for YEARS); it was great. Lolo, who is now signed to Pete's label DCD2, made a special appearance to sing Foxes' part in "Just One Yesterday". While the song selection wasn't my favorite, it was definitely the best performance I have seen them put on. Guess you can't win everything – not that I'm complaining, seriously.

All in all? The weekend was great and I have no voice. I'm still pretty pissed about the Pavilion and their inability to handle things, but it's over and I won't go see a show there ever again, so ultimately it's not a big deal.

Also, peep me in this FOB vid (bottom left, glasses & a "Mikey Fucking Way" shirt):

besttttt,
AR

No comments:

Post a Comment